plac politechniki 4 warszawa
fot. Mateusz Markowski/whiteMAD

4 Plac Politechniki: the history of the capital’s infamous plot of land

4 Plac Politechniki is the address at the junction of Nowowiejska and Śniadeckich streets in Warsaw. Over the past 80 years, this corner plot has undergone several significant changes, marked, amongst other things, by the development of the city’s built environment, the Second World War and the upheavals of the last 30 years. Just when everyone had got used to the ‘skeleton’ on Plac Politechniki, something bordering on a miracle happened. The building was finally completed and, for the first time since 1944, the corner no longer looks like a eyesore.

Plac Politechniki 4: the origins of the address

The development of Warsaw’s southern city centre accelerated towards the end of the 19th century. The opening of the Tsar Nicholas II Polytechnic Institute in 1901 played a decisive role in this process. Soon, this rather intimate neighbourhood gained prestige, and stately houses began to spring up around the square, inhabited by professors, entrepreneurs, civil servants and members of the intelligentsia. At the corner of Nowowiejska and Śniadeckich Streets stood, at that time, a small building with a turret. In its place, an elegant townhouse with a prominent corner and a high roof was erected. The property completed the western frontage of the square and complemented the surroundings of the Warsaw University of Technology and its imposing main building.

The corner tenement house at the beginning of the 20th century. Source: Polona Digital National Library

The war and years of neglect

In September 1939, the Second World War broke out, followed shortly afterwards by the Warsaw Uprising. During the uprising, Politechnika Square found itself on the front line of heavy fighting. Most of the buildings there were seriously damaged, though a few were more fortunate. Photographs taken in 1945 and 1946 show that the corner tenement house at No. 4 was not completely destroyed and, in theory, could have been suitable for reconstruction. Unfortunately, the surviving building was demolished, leaving an empty plot in its place. For many years afterwards, the gable wall of the neighbouring tenement house remained exposed; for a time, it featured a large-scale mural by PKO. A ‘Ruch’ kiosk also operated on the corner, whilst the plot itself remained undeveloped until the 1990s, despite its prominent location.

The birth of Warsaw’s ‘skeleton building’

A new reality for the site only emerged following the political changes. In 1992, the land was granted in perpetual usufruct to the “Bratniak” Building and Housing Cooperative, which intended to erect an office block there. The initial concept differed markedly from later designs. The architects proposed a more classical form with an ornate finial and a dome at the corner. Subsequent modifications to the design, however, introduced a number of simplifications. Construction began around 1995 and continued until a 10-storey reinforced concrete structure had been erected. However, the developer’s financial difficulties, changing regulations and further amendments to the planning documents meant that work was halted.

plac politechniki 4 warszawa
The corner in the 1930s and today. Source: Polona and Mateusz Markowski/whiteMAD

Plac Politechniki 4 as a symbol of unfulfilled ambitions

For nearly 30 consecutive years, the unfinished skeleton loomed over Plac Politechniki. Exposed ceilings, columns, beams and service shafts were visible. For many Warsaw residents, the structure came to symbolise the difficult economic realities of the transition years. It is worth noting, however, that the project was never formally abandoned. To keep the building permit valid, the owner carried out minor works over the years, which were recorded in the site log. In the meantime, various ideas for redevelopment, changes of use or demolition were put forward, but ultimately none of them came to fruition.

A new apartment block on Plac Politechniki

A glimmer of hope appeared around 2020, when the property was taken over by investors linked to Paradox Investment. Following a market analysis, the new owners abandoned the office concept in favour of an intimate apartment block. The design was carried out by the WXCA architectural practice, building on the existing reinforced concrete structure. Construction work began in the autumn of 2024. After several months, a slender apartment block emerged from behind the scaffolding, featuring an elegant façade complemented by metalwork and large windows. The building comprises ten flats ranging in size from around 50 to 80 square metres, an office and a commercial unit on the ground floor. Thus ended the story of the corner plot, which had been waiting 80 years to be redeveloped.

Source: zyciewarszawy.pl, portalwarszawski.com.pl, ewarszawa.pl

See also:Warsaw|City | Façade|Urban planning|Architecture in Poland|whiteMAD on Instagram