On Poznan’s Winiary hill once stood the largest artillery fort in Europe. Fort Winiary, commonly known as the Citadel, was the heart of the former Poznan fortress. In the 19th century, it was one of the most powerful fortification complexes on the Old Continent. Today, only ruined fragments remain of the military nature of the building, but 80 years ago, bloody and fierce battles were fought here, as recalled by the war cemeteries located on the south-western slopes of the hill.
A fortress of a new type
Poznan’s fortifications have a long tradition dating back to the Middle Ages. A major breakthrough, however, came in the 19th century, when the city came under Prussian rule after the Congress of Vienna. The decision was then taken to build a modern fortress to secure the eastern borderlands of the state. The centrepiece of the new concept was Fort Winiary, designed by engineer Leopold von Brese and built under the direction of Moritz von Prittwitz in 1828-1842. It was a polygonal construction, an innovation in Prussian fortification art. It was in Poznan that the so-called New Prussian system was first implemented, which later became a model for other fortresses in Europe.
A power of global renown
For four decades Poznań was transformed into a real fortress. In addition to the Citadel, fortifications were erected around Ostrów Tumski, and in the following years nine more large forts and numerous intermediate buildings, shelters, ammunition stores or positions for long-range artillery were built. The system stretched over an area about ten kilometres in diameter and was continuously modernised until the outbreak of the First World War. The ability to create floods played a special role in this system. By damming up the waters of the Warta, the Cybina and the Wierzbak, the defenders were able to turn the surrounding area into a difficult area to conquer. The multitude of buildings and their innovative system gave the Poznan fortress a pan-European reputation, becoming one of the largest systems of its kind on the continent.

Fort Winiary in the hands of Poles
After the end of World War I, Poznań found itself within the borders of a reborn Poland, which meant that the situation of the Prussian Citadel changed radically. In 1918, it remained in German hands, but thanks to the initiative of Sergeant Stanisław Jóźwiak, a member of the Polish Military Organisation, it was possible to take control of the radio station, and in December of the same year, Greater Poland insurgents forced the German garrison to surrender. Soon afterwards, Polish communications units, including telegraph and radio battalions, were organised at the fort. During the interwar period, the Citadel served mainly military and partly civilian functions. Among other things, a nationwide radio station was set up here, and even provided training in cryptography for students of the University of Poznan.
The last battle of Festung Posen
During World War II, Fort Winiary became a symbol of German resistance. In February 1945, the structure was the last bastion of the so-called Festung Posen, defended by a garrison of several thousand. The fighting for the fort was extremely fierce and ended on 23 February with the capture of the Citadel by the Red Army, on the anniversary of the formation. During the siege, the barracks redoubt, among others, was destroyed and other structures suffered minor and major damage. During the occupation, the fort was used by the Germans as an internment site for prisoners of war – General Roman Abraham, among others, was held here. The moat was also used as a firing range for armaments factories. on 21 July 1946, it was here that the last public execution in Poland was carried out. The Gauleiter Artur Greiser, responsible for crimes in the Wartheland, was executed by hanging on the slope of the Citadel.
Fort Winiary around 1910 and the Citadel park today. Photo: re.photos/Tomasz Hejna
Fort Winiary turned into a park
After the war, the demolition of the now damaged and useless fort began. The bricks obtained were used to rebuild ruined Warsaw and Poznan. As a result of Festung Posen, around 55 per cent of the city was destroyed, and in places as much as 90 per cent – mainly in the historically valuable Old Town. on 23 February 1946, the first anniversary of the end of the fighting for Poznan, the Monument to the Heroes was unveiled on top of the Citadel. Measuring 23 metres high, the monument was initially topped with a red star, only removed in 1989. In the 1960s, on the site of the almost completely demolished Citadel, the creation of the new Citadel Park began. It was to be a recreational space combined with a memorial site. In 2008, the entire area was declared a historical monument. Today, the park covers around 100 hectares and is the largest green space in the city. Its space includes monuments, sculptures (including the famous ‘Unrecognised’ by Magdalena Abakanowicz), and two museums: the Museum of Armaments and the Museum of the ‘Poznań’ Army. The ravelin I, bastion II and the Northern Gate, among others, have been preserved from the old military architecture.
War memorial
The Citadel now has as many as seven cemeteries, including the Polish Heroes’ Cemetery, the Garrison Cemetery, the British Commonwealth Cemetery and the Soviet Heroes’ Cemetery. Insurgents, soldiers, victims of occupation and prisoners of war – both Polish and Allied – rest here. Today, the Citadel Park is a place where history meets everyday life. Strolling through its avenues, it is hard not to notice how many layers of history this hill hides. In the past, it was a proud proof of military might, later it was the scene of bloody battles, and finally it became a cemetery and a monument to history, which combines memory, contemporary art and a favourite place for walks for many Poznań citizens.
Source: Stary Poznań Then and Now, twierdza-poznan.pl, poznan.pl
See also: Architecture in Poland | History | Monument | Places, Squares, Parks | Poznan | whiteMAD on Instagram
Partially demolished eastern flyover of Winiary fort – 1953 and present. Photo: NAC and Old Poznań Then and Now
Field Gate of the Winiary fort, 1953 and now. Photo: NAC and Old Poznan Then and Now
Destroyed in 1945, the neck caponier and the South Gate of the Winiary fort’s midden. Photo: NAC and Old Poznań Then and Now
An amphitheatre on the Citadel, which was built by a community effort in 1968. It was built on the site of ravelin IV of the fort, and today remains abandoned. Photo: NAC and Old Poznań Then and Now















