Dwór w Jaszczowie
Dwór obecnie. Fot. Grzegorz Brzeczykowski

The manor house in Jaszczów was in ruins for years. Today, it is a great treasure of the Lublin region

The manor house in Jaszczów is a wooden, single-storey building built in the early 19th century. In its history it belonged to several well-known families, including General Ludwik Kicki. Years of neglect have led the building to far-reaching ruin. Only the walls and chimneys are partially preserved from the former manor house. Today, the building is private property and has been meticulously restored. The building is considered to be one of the oldest wooden manor houses in the Lublin region.

The manor house in Jaszczów is an example of an Old Polish manor house from the Classical period, with a rich history and preserved elements characteristic of that period. It was erected in 1812 as a wooden building, with a partial basement, beam-and-beam ceilings and a hipped roof with a carpentry structure. The roof covering was shingles. The front elevation of the manor house had nine axes, with a column portico accentuating the main axis, while the garden elevation had eight axes and a terrace with stairs. The interior of the building was laid out symmetrically, with a wide vestibule on the front axis and a living room on the garden side. From there there was access to the adjoining rooms in both wings.

The manor house in 1927. Photo: zabytek.pl / monument card

Dwór w Jaszczowie

The floors in the rooms of the manor in Jaszczów were wooden, made of planks laid on joists. In the two corner rooms, the floors were made of clay-block. The wooden outer door on the garden side was glazed. The double-hung windows with shutters were mounted on cross and French hinges. The internal doors were double-leafed. The interior furnishings of Jaszczów Manor were quite modest, but with attention to detail. The more important rooms on the ground floor had decorative tiled cookers, which were topped with decorative cornices and crowns with floral motifs. In the lounge, adjacent to the front hallway, in addition to the decorated cooker, there was a glazed fireplace with rich Mannerist ornamentation.

Dwór w Jaszczowie
Furnishings in the 1970s Photo: monument.co.uk/caption

Two fireplaces were additionally erected in the attic, located opposite each other at the inner walls of the central chimneys. They were decorated with stylised floral ornamentation made in plaster. The “garden” salon was decorated with painted decoration in the form of royal portraits placed under the ceiling. This decoration was later painted over with whitewash. The manor house was surrounded by a park, and the Arian church from the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries, converted into an outbuilding, stood nearby. During the Second World War the outbuilding was partly destroyed and later demolished.

Manor in 1975. Photo: zabytek.co.uk/caption

At the beginning of the 19th century the manor belonged to the Kicki family. The founder of the new building in 1812 was Onufry Count Kicki, marshal of the Lublin Tribunal and castellan of the Duchy of Warsaw. After his death, the manor passed to his nephew, General Ludwik Kicki, who was killed in the Battle of Ostrołęka. Ludwik’s widow, Natalia of Bissping, bequeathed the Jaszcz estate to her godson, Count Henryk Potocki. The latter soon sold it to Counts Antoni and Wojciech Roztworowski. Then the manor was purchased by Kazimierz Poniatowski, who farmed here with his son Juliusz until 1932. After the sale, the manor became the property of Czesław Konczewski.

The manor house in Jaszczów before and after reconstruction. Photo: Grzegorz Brzeczykowski



Subsequently, Zdzisław and Helena Podgórski became the owners of the already ruined building and lived there until the end of their lives. One of the last owners of the manor was the Pisarek family, of whom Walery Pisarek was a professor at the Jagiellonian University in Krakow and a well-known linguist. In the following years, the building gradually fell into disrepair. The roof, ceilings, cookers, fireplaces and floors collapsed. At the beginning of the 21st century, the devastated monument was purchased by a private individual who, with great care, restored it to its former glory. The restoration was completed in 2015. The manor house in Jaszczów is as beautiful as before.

The building is listed in the register of monuments under the number A/105 of 30 November 1966.

Source: zabytek.pl

Read also: Architecture in Poland | Elevation | Wood | History | Villas and residences | Interesting facts

Latest content on the site

Beauty is all around you