The Krasiński tenement house, also known as the Heurichowska tenement house or the Raczyński tenement house, towers proudly over Plac Stanisława Małachowskiego, on the corner of Traugutta Street in Warsaw. Although the building was erected more than a century ago, and its history has not been short of moments in which it came close to destruction, it still stands and arouses the admiration of tourists and residents of the capital
On the site of the present building, in 1848 the Krasiński count family built a tenement house according to a design by the architect Franciszek Maria Lancie. When the palace of the Warsaw banker Kronenberg was built on the neighbouring property, which considerably outclassed their townhouse, they decided at the beginning of the 20th century to demolish the Lancie building and replace it with a representative house housing the library and art collections of the Krasiński family. The architect Jan Heurich was entrusted with the design. During its construction, however, the building was sold to Count Edward Raczynski, who changed its purpose to a representative tenement house
The tenement house today. Source: whiteMAD/Mateusz Markowski
Between 1907 and 1910, an early modern building with neo-classical decoration in the type of decor of Petersburg tenements was erected, with six high storeys with a basement, a massive attic and an additional seventh storey with windows incorporated into a frieze under the crowning cornice. The richly glazed ground floor of the building housed shop units. The building was attached to the southern gable wall of the Kronenberg palace and was much higher than the original owners wanted. The building served its purpose until 1939, when it was burnt down by the Germans. It was rebuilt in the years 1949-1950 according to a design by Bohdan Pniewski, to serve as the headquarters of the Ministry of Posts and Telegraphs (since 11 March 1955 transformed into the Ministry of Communications). As part of the reconstruction, the shopfronts of the ground and first floors were removed and replaced with classical windows, and the volume of the building was enlarged by adding a wing from Traugutta Street
Krasiński House in 1912 and 2023. Source: Mazovia Digital Library and whiteMAD/Mateusz Markowski
A fragment of the building in 1912 and 2023. Source: Mazovia Digital Library and whiteMAD/Mateusz Markowski
The building, which had been occupied for decades for ministerial purposes, was sold to Hochtief Development Polska, which began redeveloping and adapting the building into a luxury office building in 2011. The works included a new wing, whose architecture is modern but corresponds to the historic building. The historic front has been meticulously restored, including the restoration of the pre-war glass storefronts, which were walled up in the 1940s. Today, the Krasińskich Tenement House once again dazzles and is an excellent example of monumental Warsaw architecture of the early 20th century
Ta strona wykorzystuje pliki cookie, dzięki którym informacje są przechowywane na Twoim komputerze. Pozostawanie na tej stronie oznacza wyrażenie zgody na wykorzystywanie plików cookie.AkceptujDowiedz się więcej
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.